Thursday, March 15, 2007

Menicka est omnis divisa in partes tres

I've been really in the weeds these last few days.

1. Private/family life. My mother (yes, I have a mother) just got a pacemaker. She's fine, but getting to fine was a bit of a trip.

2. I rush from the hospital to my day job (yes, I have a day job). I read a couple of books, schedule the department for the next couple of months, avoid talking about our new CEO for much the same reason I avoid talking about the political situation in Botswana—it doesn't affect me that much, so it's not high on my radar. Yes, we do have a new CEO, and despite the fact that the average person in the hallway spends an entire career having literally no direct interactions with this sort of creature, you'd think that she had moved into the spare bedroom and was doing a Sheridan Whiteside with bells on. I limit my gossip to people I know. Or people who post to WTF. The rest of you are so many chimeras.

3. I spend all last night entering data for the CFL Grands gala and then I run off this evening for the Last Supper, or whatever it is the NY Cats call their annual get-together. (No doubt the previous sentence will have me excommunicated at the very least.)

QED, three parts: home, work, the other work.

What I need is another home. I need some space. I need a moment in the day to be me, Jim Menick, NASCAR addict, fashionista, do-it-yourself home-repair legend, gentleman farmer, and, of course, man trapped in a man's body.

I'm pooped. And I'll leave you with this. Whatever happened to people using the name Goliath? I mean, once upon a time, obviously, Goliath was a normal name, just like David. Today, there's Davids everywhere, but just try to find a Goliath anywhere. No way. If you ask me, the statute of limitations has expired, and the name should enter back into the common parlance. (Actually, what I'll really leave you with is this: never use the word Rabelaisian in a debate meeting, unless you need to take a quick picture to illustrate the dictionary definition of "blank stare.")

No comments: