Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I'm calm, I'm calm, I'm perfectly calm

(I mean, all I want is a long column of news entries on one side, and easy navigation on the other side. Like pretty much every other site in the universe. Like it was before the latest iteration, for that matter. You’d think I was asking for something really unusual. Aaarrghhh!!!!)

In the never-ending drama of running a tournament, getting entrants to sit still may be the hardest part. Everybody wants to keep changing everything. That’s why you set fees early on: if they must cause a ruckus, at least they’re paying for it. Bump doesn’t charge any nuisance fees, but I’m having second thoughts about this in the future. There should be some penalty for changes, otherwise people just keep changing things. Honestly, aside from kids getting sick at the last minute, I don’t understand it. You tell them to sign up by your internal deadline, they do, and then you register by the tournament’s deadline, and that’s the end of it. Wouldst that it were true…

Tonight I’ll have all the strikes and rankings, and I’ll enter them into the system. And that’s mostly it, short of actually doing it. I’ve bought supplies, got the trophies, uncovered most of the stuff in the basement from last year, boxed the crappy prizes, sent out the necessary messages—that’s about everything. And the weather forecast is gorgeous. What’s so hard about running a tournament, anyhow?

[Note to self: Do not threaten the debate gods! Anything can happen, and will. Wait till it’s over, and then keep your mouth shut. That’s the best way to handle these things.]

No comments: